Surfing The Nations has been doing short-term, month long trips to Bangladesh for the past decade. Throughout those years, friendships have been developed, positive community transformation has happened and surfing has taken off in Cox’s Bazar!
Just as any student has a graduation, Surfing The Nations is excited to announce that short term trips to Bangladesh are being graduated into a new season of long term work! While the short term trips will continue, the groundwork for STN Bangladesh will begin.
Our dedicated staff members, Whitney Willett and Ashley Hilton are leaving tomorrow to spend four months in Bangladesh, where they will be completely immersed in the culture they have grown to love.
Their goals are to:
- Learn Bangla through language school
- Gain a greater understanding of Bangladesh: the religion, the women, social issues and needs.
- Get connected to the growth in Bangladesh through different organizations and individuals that are committed to seeing Bangladesh flourish.
They will be living at the language school for the first month and then they will look for a host family to live with. They will also be taking cultural courses on religion, dance, and other related things. Here are a few of their thoughts as they get ready to leave:
Three Things Ashley is excited about:
- Living completely immersed in a foreign country for four months!
- Reconnecting with friends that she met during her stay in April.
- Forming new relationships.
Three Things Whitney is excited about:
- Experiencing Bangladesh for more than one month! (Whitney has been several times for only one month at a time).
- Building relationships with the women.
- Being a sponge and soaking up all that will come her way in the next four months!
Whitney says, ‘It’s going to be exciting! We are going to face a plethora of emotions and have experiences that will shape us for the rest of our lives. I spent seven months in India in 2009-2010, and that has forever shaped who I am and I know that this experience will forever shape the two of us also.’
Their language school starts on August 1st, so they’re off tomorrow to start their journey! We’ll be filling you in on their progress throughout their time, so watch this space!